As I write this, I am sitting in a strange wooden chair that my college has provided for me in my dorm room. Though I am lucky enough to even have the space for a desk in my bedroom in NYC, it is far from my future dream space.
Having an ideal workspace is a life essential for everyone. A clean, zen space opens up room for inspiration, creativity and productivity. It reflects who we are and what work we do.
Though it may be a little ways away, I can almost see my workspace now: neutral colors, minimalistic furniture, wooden pieces, room for my computer, the epitome of organization. I would make sure to have flowers
somewhere close by, a space for an inspiration board with my favorite quotes and people I can view, and an area with pictures of my family and friends. I would keep the theme to: “The clearer the space, the clearer the mind…”
Like I said, finding enough space to work is not easy in NYC. Usually it’s either my local Starbucks or Barnes & Noble for me, these aren’t the most inspirational spaces by any means.
Preferably, the space could also be a large, airy room with lots of natural light pouring in…. but let’s not get crazy.
However, I recently learned there is an easier way of attaining a dream workspace. WeWork, a co-working company, came up with this brilliant idea: shared workspace. Freelancers, startups and entrepreneurs can become members and pay monthly for there own workspaces provided by WeWork all over the world. For a startup company in New York, this is a dream. I have heard of people starting out on their cramped bedroom floors, WeWork makes it so much easier. Not only do you have the space to create, you are surrounding by similar, hardworking individuals. It’s the perfect combination of networking and getting better work done.
In the meantime, here is what you can do to vamp up your space right now…
- Get some great office supplies. Poppin has some awesome and colorful desk supplies that can cheer anyone up!
- A comfy chair is necessary. If you want to really get some work done, that will require quite a bit of chair sitting. Amazon has a list of some of the best desk chairs.
- Add a plant to your desk. Did you know that plants can decrease stress and increase productivity by at least 12%? Sounds good enough to me.
- Declutter! Need I say more?
- Add something that inspires you. That can be pictures, a book, a magazine, a quote. Whatever gets you in your element.
A beautiful workspace can increase our productivity, creativity and happiness. What is your dream workspace like?